Re: Brackish Plants

<< On a related topic, I saw mangrove seedlings offered for sale through
the
That Fish Place catalog.  They also offer a captive-mangrove "how-to"
book
by Julian Sprung.  Anyone out there have experience with this?  It
intrigues
me, but also smells like trouble.  No? >>

There are two problems with keeping mangroves, both of which can be
surmounted.

First, these are terrestrial plants. However, they are great for
paludariums, etc. They will tolerate salt in the soil, so they're great
for brackish water paludariums (along with mudskippers and fiddler
crabs!), but work just as great in completely freshwater setups.

Second, these are trees. They get maybe forty feet tall. This can be
circumvented if you either have a really tall house ;-) or maybe if you
try some bonsai-style trimming. Just clip clip clip whenever they get too
big. ;-)

I also believe they like lots of light...

William

P.S. I am not a botanist. Follow my advice at your own risk. YMMV. Etc.,
etc., etc.

~ The Equarium ~
http://equarium.tripod.com
Aquarium photos ~ Free software ~ And more!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.