Re: Lighting

> Well Tom compared to what you guys have readily available in USA, Europe and
> Japan, the rest of the world is practically in the dark ages as regards to
> lighting because it is not easily available and when it is available it is
> foully expensive.
> I for one had to specially order and get imported reflectors for my metal
> halides and then have some one build the body out of sheet metal to fit the
> MH bulb holder and reflector. Couldn't fit the ballast into the fixture so
> the ballast is remote.
> So Dupla's  insistence is still very valid for a lot of people on the list
> :-).

I've found some folks in places very remote to use Merc Vapor lighting with
excellent results and other lighting sources(old street lamps etc). True,
you have to use what you have but importing cost a heck of a lot. I try and
use what's there in your area. The HP sodium are also excellent choices and
sheet metal etc can typically be done custom locally etc as you have done.
We have done this here in the US also even for reg NO FL's since few places
ever make a 3-4 bulb fixture unless they are too pricey.
Three folks I know on separate islands in Indonesia and Malaysia all have
some rather interesting set ups for their tanks but they make do quite well.
Things are rigged and pieced together but it works well. There's no way you
can get turn key stuff there. Most all of it needs made. Folks can be quite
resourceful without importing very expensive equipment. Just need to see
what's around your area. MV and HPS's are pretty common lights and typically
can be found most parts of the world.

> PCs for aquariums, VHO - eh, what is that ? - is the reply I mouth even
> before I hear it when I go looking for lighting, add Kelvin Temperature, CRI
> and people think I am out to zap them.

The MER Vap and Sodiums are yellow but they sure grow plants well and are
cheap. That's what'd I'd be using there.

> Amano's bulbs and fixtures - Forget it. I don't think anyone on this list
> has Amano's lighting and fixtures. Well may be a few let's take a poll that
> will be interesting.

For sure:-) Or the bulbs:-)
I know acouple that have the hoods, one is sitting there in TN. The color
temp is nothing special and we can figure the wattage easily enough.
I agree with most of the lighting levels. Some of the larger tanks seem low
for my taste but they likely do slower growth etc and that's a big issue for
a large tank with loads of plants.

> All those on this list who use any of Amano's equipment please post what
> equipment you use - that broadens the poll.
>
> PMDD, Substrate fertilisation, CO2 etc., etc., can somehow be managed, but
> to get the aquarium looking pleasant one needs lighting and that is the
> stumbling block for many of us.

I'd go for the street lighting MV and HPS bulbs and fixtures. A bit yellow
to our eyes but does super on growing the plants. I used a MV set up for 2
years. Bulbs last forever. Plants loved it. Lots of light for low watt to
lumen/par rating. Pretty darn cheap also(bulbs and fixtures).

I think many folks are insistent on using what many folks say here on this
list are using, PC or NO FL's and MH's. Your tank can look as pretty as
anyone's using the MV and HPS set ups. But some folks will go to great
lengths to avoid the yellowish color. For many of us in NA, it's easy to get
the PC set ups and the MH's.

Good macro's, traces and CO2 will get most folks much farther than and "hot
rod" lighting system. Even if the tank is rather deep.

The best Gloss and E. tennellus fields I've seen to date had 2 watt a gallon
of NO FL's on a 24 inch deep tank. I used 2 watt/gal on 2 other tanks at
that depth also. You get more mileage when the CO2 and nutrients are in good
shape from any lighting source.
I've run a 20 inch tank at 1.6 watt/gal and super growth/color.
More lighting will improve most plant's growth rate allowing for bushier
growth in some cases but lower lighting has a bad name almost these days.

I know folks can grow very nice lush tanks at low lighting as well as at
high lighting.

I keep the same nutrient levels but the uptake and dosing FREQUECY is less
in a lower light tank. Balancing that and figuring out approximately how
much a fully planted tank needs to "eat" weekly and how frequently will help
a great deal in finding the right balance.

Regards,
Tom Barr