Slimy filter cartridge

I have an eclipse II hood on my 29G low tech low light low maintenance
planted tank. I am having a problem where the filter cartridges clog with
within 3-4 days of cleaning or replacement. They get covered with  slimy
stuff, and the carbon inside seems like it is stuck together. I had some
filter floss in there and while the gunk on it was the same color as the
stuff which comes out of my 72 gallon tank, it had a slimy feel to it, but
it did not smell bad.

Any ideas what this might be and how to fix it?

-Rachel, who has disconnected the bio-wheel in the tank because it is next
to the bed and it is just too noisy sometimes.