Re: Exploding glass, unven floors, 90 gallons -- What? Me Worry?

Bill Wichers said, in part:

> I'm not a big fan of the
> foam-under-tank
> method of evening the base, since it isn't all that difficult to make
> wooden stand properly -- and the wood will work better. I just don't
> think
> the force a piece of foam can generate on a gap will result in enough
> additional support to have any real benefit.

Good Call.  While foam is a good gap filler visually, how many hundreds
of pounds can you expect it to resist?  You would be better off with
solid shims than foam for small gaps, if you have to have them.
Sometimes they are unavoidable unless you jack up your floor from below
to even things out after filling the tank.  Big gaps, and you should
rethink your stand and floor; something is not really up to the job.

I agree that the commerical metal stands are sad offerings -- but then,
I'm biased about wood.

Scott H.