Re: Cheap Lead

> Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 18:35:01 -0700
> From: Wright Huntley <jwwiii at pacbell_net>
> Subject: Re: Cheap Lead
>
> I'm constantly amazed at folks that will go utterly non-linear at any
hint
> of asbestos, but will be totally casual about a source of a true
poison --
> toxic heavy metals!
<snip>
> If your pH ever drops (and it inevitably happens in most tanks) the lead
> is
> etched and dissolved to become very lethal to your fish. Your fish will
> start to show the symptoms of nerve damage, very quickly. [BTDTBTTS!]

I was writing only about a source for free lead strips, not how they
should be used.  Because my tank water is acidic, I coat the lead strips
with Plasti Dip, which prevents contact between water and lead, while
leaving them completely flexible.  I don't use very many of them, but they
are helpful in holding down an occasional stubborn plant -- and even to
sink a piece of zuccini for my clown pleco!

John T. Fitch
E-mail: jtfitch at spamcop_net
Web Site: www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html