[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #41
- To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
- Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #41
- From: Stephen Boulet <stephen at theboulets_net>
- Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 07:55:37 -0500
- In-reply-to: <200204200748.g3K7m2I03733 at acme_actwin.com>
- References: <200204200748.g3K7m2I03733 at acme_actwin.com>
On Saturday 20 April 2002 02:48 am, Roger Miller wrote:
> You can get a similar effect in biowheels. The big surface area that is
> cited for biowheels is created by the surface of all the little fibers
> in the fabric. As soon as you get any biofilm on those fibers the space
> between the fibers gets filled and most of that surface area is lost.
I thought that the big advantage to the biowheels was not that they had gobs
of surface area, but that they were exposed to atmospheric oxygen, allowing a
much larger bacterial colony than if submerged.