Re: Bioballs

Scott Hieber asks:

>Has anyone had problems with poorly designed bioballs?

I have.  I don't recall the mfg. but Home Depot carries some like them or
they used to.  The "balls" are essentially made up of parallel tubes (~1/4"
OD, 1/16" ID) of varying lengths arranged so as to give the impression of a
sphere.  IME, they clogged quickly and were difficult to clean.  I actually
had to sit and poke a length of weed-whacker chord through each tube to
ensure they were clear.  Pieces of tube would sometimes break off during
handling, too.  I ended up replacing them with Aqua Medic's
Bactoballs.  I've been much, much happier with them.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee