tools: current sources summary for scissors and pick-up tools

I've learned so much from this list that I thought I would try to
contribute something.

I've spent a bit of time the last couple of days looking for scissors
and tools-for-picking-things-up on the web and I thought others might
be interested in what I found.  I hope this is useful - I make no
claims about being an expert or that this is an exhaustive list of the
possibilities.

Executive summary: Check out Ebay for tools. Search for tweezers,
forcep(s), alligator forcep(s), hemostat(s), scissors. Reduce the huge
number of results by specifying a price range.

Details:

SCISSORS
--------

Types:

If you want long scissors to trim aquatic plants you probably want
medical scissors of some type. They have long handles and very small
blades (as opposed to Tailor's scissors which can be long but have
huge blades).  I decided on Metzenbaum scissors since they have
rounded points. I figure sharp points could be dangerous to plants and
fish (at least in my hands).

Metzenbaum scissors come in straight and curved blade types. I thought
the curve blade would be nice but didn't think that was a major
factor.

Sources:

Arizona Aquatic Gardens (http://www.azgardens.com/) is currently
  selling 11" straight Metzenbaum scissors Judging from past posts on
  this list, their selection of tools varies over time.

Ebay (www.ebay.com): I found 11" curved blade Metzenbaum scissors for
  $15.52 plus $5 shipping. I noticed that the same seller is selling
  the same thing again.

TOOLS FOR PICKING THINGS UP
---------------------------

Types I considered:

 (1) Tweezers: what we normally think of as tweezers (look like a
     wishbone and close by squeezing) but bigger. These come as

     (a) locking (there is a projection on one side and a hole on the other)

     (b) non-locking

 (2) Forceps or hemostats: scissor type tools for picking things up
     which (once again) I think are usually medical tools (also used
     for dissection).

     These come in (at least) three types:

     (a) locking - there are two notched projections between the handles
         which will lock together at various positions

     (b) non-locking - no such projections. Sometimes called specimen
         grippers or specimen forceps.

     (c) alligator or endoscopic - non-locking with small jaws at
         the end of a long stem (It's best to see a picture).

     This link has pictures of locking and non-locking forceps

            http://www.emsdiasum.com/ems/tweezers/forceps.html

     to see alligator forceps (or all of the above if this link stops
     working) go to ebay and search on forcep or forceps.

I decided I wanted a non-locking scissor type tool.  I figured
tweezers would have to be much longer because they have to be gripped
in the middle.  I didn't want locking because it seemed like it would
be a nuisance.  However, most forceps are locking so you have to look
a bit for the non-locking ones.

Sources:

These are places I found that listed their prices and which carried
things I was interested in. I'm sure there are plenty more sources out
there.

   http://www.emsdiasum.com/ems/tweezers/forceps.html

   http://www.pciscientific.com/pci/default.asp?pagemode=productlist&subcat%5Fid=3218&cbid=1000

   http://solan at scissorsales_com/hemostat.html

   http://solan at scissorsales_com/tweezers.html

   http://www.azgardens.com/ (Arizona Aquatic Gardens)

   Ebay (www.ebay.com) I bought 18" alligator type forceps for $21 +
       $4 shipping. It may be that these will be too long but I
       thought I would give them a try.

- Mary in Madison Wisc