Re: [Eclipse System 12 - help a newbie]

Chet,

I have (or had) the exact same setup you describe.  I switched from an Eclipse
6 to an Eclipse 12 for more room, being very happy with the system.  I used
black gravel with laterite mixed in at the bottom layer of gravel.  Initially,
i used the lights that came with it, which is 13 watts (5000K) if I remember
correctly.  I put in a big anubias barteri on one side, green and bronze
crypts on the other, java moss on a long piece of driftwood, and an amazon
sword as a big background plant.  I had one otocinclus and a school of neons
and a school of blue tetras.  No CO2 or fertilizers, just weekly water changes
of 10%.  Didn't have a bad algae problem, just enough to keep the otto fed and
my tank looked clean.  The plants did well, not spectacular growth but
definitely grew.  The java moss sulked a bit but i don't think i mounted it
right the first time.  Eventually, i wanted to try some other plants and
replaced out the lights and am doing DIY CO2 and have some algae problems that
come and go.  The lights that come with it looked good, color-wise and I
really love the look of the black gravel as a backdrop against the tetras,
driftwood and plants.  I also used a black plastic trashbag as the background
which really worked well.  I would also heartily recommend using Excel as it's
perfect for little tanks with low light levels.  The small bottles are very
inexpensive and lasted a long time for me.

good luck and happy fishing!
Christine
christine dot bennett at usa dot net