Re: Hyphessobrycon callistus

Michael Heerman is interested in Hyphessobrycon callistus, commonly known
as the Neon Serpae Tetra (among other things), and wonders how this fish
behaves in the company of plants.

Michael, I keep a small shoal of 5 H. callistus in a planted 29 gallon tank
and they haven't been any trouble at all in regard to the plants, but I do
give them a varied diet of flake, live, and green foods.  Even so, I have
left them without food for extended periods on more than one occasion and
still they have not damaged the plants.  Perhaps it would be prudent of me
to throw in a YMMV here, but I don't think you have anything to worry
about.  In fact, all of the small, South American Characins that I've kept
since starting with live plants have been well-behaved.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee