Re: Filterless Discus

Alan said, in part:

" . . . Let me stipulate that I am not a fish genius.  But
 having said that, I don't think one should advocate
 keeping discus without biological filtration, without
 saying exactly you mean by water changes. . . . ""

The conversion of toxic fish wastes  to a less harmful substances
(AKA "biological filtration") can be done without filtering.
Healthy aquatic plants consume the ammonia (or ammonium)
directly, without waiting for it to be converted to nitrates.

Bill