brown algae

I'm having brown algae problems. It's covering my anubias leaves, starting
to cover aponogetan leaves, bacopa leaves are covered (except for new grown)
same with Elodea (old leaves covered, new growth looks fine). Tank is
29-gallons and it is a new set-up. I read that I can just cut off clean new
growth and throw out lower/ older growth with algae. What about anubias and
others? I hate the idea of throwing away the plants that I have been waiting
for to grow? I'm using DIY Co2 yeast, (2) 40w compact fluorescents,
approximately 12 schooling fish (neon tetras, zebra striped danios, etc) I
have one Oto Cat and plan to buy a couple more today. Selling freshwater
shrimp in Maine is illegal, so I will have to wait until I'm in another
state to make a shrimp purchase. Should I consider doing the "Clorox dip?"
Should I get some potassium to add to the tank to help cut down on
phosphates? Directing me to good website articles would be appreciated as
I'm sure this is an old thread. Thanks