AFF vs FFF

Jerry Leong wrote:
"Regardless, we seem to be in agreement that Jordanella floridae is the fish
in
question.  What difference does it make if someone calls it FFF while
another
calls it AFF?"

For those "in the know", there is no difference - we KNOW what fish is being
referred to. Where it matters (or _should_ matter) is when speaking to
someone who might NOT be "in the know" or privy to all the ins and outs of
"American-speak" (i.e. the rest of the world). Many times, a common name
used in Europe is totally unknown to someone on this side of the Atlantic
and vice versa. If you wish to communicate effectively with others, you have
to speak in a language that they can understand. That's one of the beauties
of Scientific names - they are always the same. Coupling the Scientific name
to a common name, even once in a post, would ensure that everyone could
figure out which fish (or plant) is under discussion.

Of course, if you don't care how effectively your thoughts are communicated,
you can call the fish (or the plant, as the case might be) anything YOU
want. Just remember that the APD has an international membership - not
everyone here is from North America.

James Purchase
Toronto