Underwater lighting (was: Florida Flag Fish)

"... he had ordinary incandescent bulbs, hanging downwards from ceramic
sockets screwed to a board, partially submerged IN the water of each tank."

Has anyone considered (a safer version of) this as a possibility - using
something other than incandescent?

Presumably it would be a significantly more effective use of the light
output because there would be no partial reflection from the water surface &
the light source could be nearer to the plants.

Getting rid of the heat might be a problem though.

Kevin Buckley