RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #16

A long long time ago, Kevin Conlin of the Conlin-Sears study on PMDD
wrote:

> The new formula is 1tbsp trace element mix, 1tbsp epsom salts, 2tbsp
> KNO3, and 2tbsp K2SO4.  My original formula was developed while I was
> using a UV sterilizer.  When I turned off the sterilizer, I needed
> much less PMDD to maintain my iron levels, and the plants ran short
> of macronutrients, primarily K.  I cut back on the epsom salts because
> 1tbsp seemed to work just fine; no sense adding more than necessary.

So in a short answer, what impact does a UV sterilizer have on
macronutrients?

Is the UV sterilizer breaking down potassium thus the increase in the
ratio of KNO3 to K2S04?  Or "What" is causing the perceived shortage of
K when a UV sterilizer in running?

Greg aka Newsletter