Re: KCL vs K2SO4

> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:38:26 -0600
> From: Robert Chady <aquatic-plants at chady_org>
> Subject: KCL vs. K2SO4?
>
> So, I'm finally getting around to making up my own PMDD chemicals (thanks
> for the advice Tom), but seem to have run in to a small problem -- I can't
> find K2SO4 anywhere around here.  On the otherhand, I can find a near
> limitless supply of KCL.  So, my question is, is there any real problem
> with using KCL (Chloride gonna be a problem?) for this application?  I've
> seen it listed as a possible alternative to K2SO4 before, but don't want
> to find out the hard way that it will cause problems. :)
>
> Robert Chady
> Chippewa Falls, WI

Robert,
If you're using the KNO3 and need a fair amount of it, K+ will be relatively
high in the tank, and small amounts of KCL would be fine for topping off the
K+. My concern is more about high levels of CL- ion. SO4 levels are not that
bad for plants on the other hand. It's often a component in higher GH
waters. If you plan on using a lot of K+ I'd stick to the K2SO4. Several
places do sell it on line. www.litemanu.com or something close I know sells
it. Ag place will sell a 50lb sack and then you can supply the State with
K2SO4 for aquarist.
You have hard water up there and I think the effects of higher Cl- are
likely going to less detrimental to your plants.

Regards,
Tom Barr