Re: The #$%^ing cloudy water

> Subject: Re: Re: Re: Cloudy water again...>
> > > Lileopsis sp. are relatively slow growers, even in ideal conditions,
so
> > > don't expect too much, especially as your Geophagus gets bigger!
> >Guess I was misinformed...I really want a 'lawn' in the front part of my
> >tank.  Is there anything really good for this?
> Both Glosstigma and Lileopsis growing in a tank, the Gloss literally
plowed
> through a thicket of Lil, the Lil does take a while but it is worth the
> wait. Once it takes off it does not take long. My substrate is about 3
> inches in front with good layer of laterite about 1.5 in. down, that makes
> difference as far as growth rate IMO.  Don Matakis
I guess what I'd probably do is try both out to see which I like better, its
just going to be a while before I can invest more into plants.  In the
meantime I'm trying just to keep the micro swords covered, more on that
further down...

I think it was Tony asking about my water paremeters, which I got some
information back today.  This was the reply from the water/sewer people:
------------------------
The pH will vary from 7.6 to 9.3 depending on the season - lowest in the
winter and highest in the summer.
The MWRA will add copper sulfate in the early spring to control the algae.
A constant amount of chlorimene (chlorine & ammonia) will also be present.

The above is the only reactonary chemistry that should occur that we know
will affect an aquarium.
I hope this information is helpful to you and if you need anything further
please contact me any time.
-----------------------------------
Seems to me the pH is a little high to start, but mixing in with my CO2
injected water it'll probably lower, but 9.3, yikes!  I'll have to keep an
eye on that.  I'd figure theres more information there she didn't give me
about trace elements.  Do you think this is sufficient information?  The
offer was open for more detailed specs, so I'm sure if I asked she'd reply
with that info.

All the stock plants are getting a lot happier these days with the added
CO2, thanks TB.  They've all successfully rooted, which I've never had in my
tank.  Also, the anacharis plants (personal background favorite) haven't
even begin to turn the slightest lighter shade of green.  They're both dark
green and happy.  The earth eater seems to be the topic of concern in my
tank.  I love that fish, but I just don't know what to do with him!  I'm
constantly having to re-cover plant roots and push gravel around bulbs and
stuff like that, also brushing off larger leaves that have caught some of
the falling gravel he drops.  Its a lot messier then I thought it would have
been earlier.  He likes to cover the whole tank, too, not just one
particular area :-(

My puffer hasn't been looking too happy lately, and I'm getting a little
worried.  He isn't holding himself straight anymore, floating around almost
with the current, his color has faded and he isn't eating nearly as much as
he used to.  I have a feeling the drop in pH with the added CO2 has bugged
him, considering their sensitivity to lower pH even after sufficient
acclimation.  I have a feeling I'll lose him soon :-(

The angels are growing at an almost surprising rate!  They all have
beautiful color, eat well, and generally have good demeaner.  As do the
cats, beautiful color, activeness and eating habits.  The glass fish seem to
have gotten ick!  I'm worried it will spread to other fish and think I'll
quarintine (sp?) them this weekend, with lack of time before then :-(

My cloud still hasn't completely gone away though.  Earlier this week I
changed some of the more dirty cotton in the mag filter and haven't yet had
time to make a skimmer-type thing for the 20g bin.  I have noticed lately a
kind of film on the glass that looks just slimy.  There isn't any color to
it, yet, though I suspect its probably something worse then I'm expecting.
Its not overtaken the glass, just kind of fogged it up, slightly.  I hope
the maintenance this weekend (water change, cleaning glass, vacuum as much
gravel as I can) should help both the cloud and the film.  With the higher
pH tap water I hope not to spike it too quickly for any of the fish.
Normally a 10-20% water change and everything seems fine.  Perhaps the
slight raise in pH will help the puffer out a bit.

Onto question time.  Whats the best way to regulate my pH?  Right now all I
have setup is the 4, 2 liter bottles DIY CO2 pushing the pH down, without
them the pH slowly rises back up to about 7.6.  With the CO2, though, the pH
can drop to as low as 6.5.  I have a feeling the answer has something to do
with raising the kh as a buffer so the added CO2 won't swing the pH so much.

I guess I've added too much gravel to my tank.  Generally there is about 4"
sometimes 5" at deeper areas, should I take out about an inch of gravel to
lessen the depth even more to the laterite?  The plants I added recently
seem to be doing ok.  If I shine a light on the bottom of the tank I can
make out some roots, but only 2, 1" parts from one plant.  Perhaps the
microsword in the front would like it closer to the laterite?  Yes, if I
remove gravel from above the laterite I increase my risk of more leakage
into the colum, but if I have more plants holding their own in the tank then
I would think they'd clear the water more sufficiently...?

Thanks for your time guys (and gals ;-)