Fontinalis

I'm gonna ignore that "gentlemen" thing ;)  - Cynthia

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Wiatr, Stan" <SWiatr at msubillings_edu>
To: "'krombhol at teclink_net'" <krombhol at teclink_net>,
   "'Aquatic-Plants at ActWin_com'" <Aquatic-Plants at ActWin_com>,
   "'nwwise01 at netzero_net'" <nwwise01 at netzero_net>
Subject: Fontinalis
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 21:42:02 -0700

Gentlemen,
I am a botanist at Montana State University in Billings, MT. presently
studying aquatic vegetation of the Bighorn River located in south-central
Montana.  One of the interesting plants I have observed in the river is a
moss that I suspect is Fontinalis.  The river is alkaline (pH 8.0), cold
(winter 2C, summer max of 16C), and free of ice all year.  The moss grows
along the shore or in fast, shallow water, always attached...anchored
strongly to rocks in thick bristly masses of mostly older, dead material.  I
would appreciate any assistance you could offer on the identification of
this plant since I am not a taxonomist.  I would be happy to send photos or
possibly a specimen if you could help.
Thanks in advance,
Stan Wiatr, Assoc. Professor of Biology
Dept. Biological & Physical Sciences