Re: Correct Temp from Faucet to Tank with Python

Rachel Sandage offered some good stuff on maintaining temps when adding
water to an aquarium -- part of it quoted below.  I had a few cents
left over so, I added them below:

> the temperature of
> the
> water drifts as I add 50 gallons or so of water.  So here's what I do
> now:
>
> Adjust the water coming out of the tap by putting the python in
> suction mode
> (with the fill end not in the water). Then I close it up so the water
> flows
> through. While I am filling I check the water temperature pretty
> frequently,
> and make small adjustments as I go along if I need to. My sink is
> about 25'
> from the tank, so I am walking back and forth.

When you first turn on the hot water, the water in the pipes might be
tepid (or even cold) but eventually water freshly from the water heater
reaches your faucet.  As you draw more water from the water heater,
cold water goes in to keep the water heater filled, which eventually
lowers the temp of he hot water which lowers the temp of the mixed
water at your faucet.  But *also* as the faucet warms up, the valve
opening inside tends to alter the valve opening, reducing or increasing
the flow of hot water.  The combination of these things can make the
temp wander up, then down, or vice versa.  Unless you have one of those
newfanlged temp controlling faucets,  You might have to do a bit of the
back and forth while filling from the faucet.

And when you get the whole thing zeroed in just right, someone will
flush a toilet and the temp skyrockets for a short time at the faucet.
:-\

Scott H.