Strange Filamentous Stuff

About a week ago some strange filamentous stuff I have never seen before has started growning in my tank.  I'm hoping someone can tell me what it is, and how to get rid of it.  It is like very fine, gray threads that only occasionally branch.  In the last day or so small white/green nodules have started to appear.  It is only growing well directly below the lights where the light is strongest, and then only 4-5 inches down.  If it appears anywhere else the growth is sparse and stunted.  I tried to remove some from the tip of one leaf and it turned to dust.  It only appears to grow on the edges of leaves, but I don't know if that is because the various algae eaters keep disturbing it on the leaf faces.
Since it is favoring the best lighted areas I have considered darkening the tank for a while, but I don't want it to just disintegrate and spread everywhere until the lights come back on.  It doesn't siphon off well; I managed only to damage a number of leaves without removing much of the filaments.
Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
Mikey