How a 2028 Pumps more than a 2026 or why water falls uphill

Last December Ron Barter noted that the Eheim filters 2226 and 2228
"use the same motor and pump assembly, consume the same amount of
power, will operate the same 6'7" head, and have the same 3/4" input
and 1/2" output hoses. The dimensions of the cannister are even the
same, except the larger filter is taller. "

The new models 2026 also is the same in every respect as the new model
2028 except the height of the canisters.

"So," Ron asked, "So how does the 2228 push 26 more gph? I would think
that with more filter media to push through, the larger filter would
have LESS flow, not more."

When I asked Eheim Ron's question, this is what they finally replied:

"Even if the motors are rated at the same wattage and the diameter of
the filters is identical, the canisters of the 2 prof II filters is
different. And the flow resistance is more favorable with the bigger
canister. The technical data mentioned for the small canister is on the
lower tolerance level, for the big cansiter [sic] it is on the upper
tolerance level. I hope this information is useful to you and remain
with best regards

 EHEIM GmbH & Co. KG  "

This isn't a very satisfying response.  And I'm not sure what it can
mean.  After all, even if you take media out of the equation, Eheim
rates the 2026 with less flow (without media) than the 2028 (without
media) -- merely being taller is favorable for water flow?

Is anyone familiar with the 2026 and 2028 filters and can describe the
differences, if any, besides height, in the canisters on the 2026 and
2028?

Note that, the motors aren't merely rated the same wattage but bear the
same part number. In fact all the parts on the 2026 have the same part
numbers as all those on the 2028 except for the canisters themselves
and the exterior corner-bumpers.

Ach! Ich kann nicht ihm glauben!
Scott H.