Banana plant (just how big?)

I got a pair of plants recently that can be best described as having a
thick, green, banana looking (a bunch of bananas) base with roundish leaves
on the end of stalks radiating from the base. Once planted the roots come
out from the tips of the banana looking things. Anyone know what it is?
Looked on the net and couldn't find it. LFS has no idea (bad store but get
some great deals as they have no idea what they are selling at times).

Basically wanted to know how big it gets.  It was pretty small and sad shape
(cheap!) when I got it but after one pityful leaf the next two were MONSTERS
and no end in site! :)

Thanks in adv.
Pete.