Re: CO2 reactor

At 03:48 AM 3/22/02 -0500, Ed Dumas noted:
>there are basically two different types of
>reactors for those systems. There is the kind that sits inside the tank,
>CO2 is brought in via an air line tube, and the reactor is driven by a
>small powerhead inside the tank. The other type sits outside of the
>tank, is usually much larger, and water is pumped to it and back with a
>more substantial in-line water pump.

Ed, you have overlooked a third kind:  fancy airstones.  They are made by
ADA, Dupla, Point Four (very large ones for huge tanks), Sera (I think) and
Eheim.   Note that most are German.  The fancy airstones use part of the
pressure the CO2 is under to atomize the bubbles and deliver a very fine
mist into the aquarium water.   This mist dissolves for the most part on
its trip towards the surface.

This kind of reactor (or diffusor might be a better word for this type) is
far simpler (no moving parts) and is my preference.  On the other hand, if
you have a huge tank injecting the CO2 into the impeller of a canister
filter or power head might allow you to force more CO2 into the water.

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco   KG6IBW     gomberg at wcf dot com
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron for low cost CO2 systems that work!

multipart/mixed
---