Importing aquatic plants into Canada

Raymond Wong wrote:
"KL how did u package it? canada customs did  open my package but they
probably thought it was a card or something and alowed it to go through
anyways?"

When did this happen? I found out yesterday that the Canadian government has
scrapped (effective last December) the need for Phytosanitary Certificates
and possibly for Import Permits in those few cases where they were necessary
for aquatic plants coming from the United States. According to the letter on
their web site, this is not due to a change in the law, they have just
realized that they don't have the manpower to deal with the volume of
traffic.

I've asked for a clarification on the new policy and will report to the list
when I hear back. But right now it does look like aquatic plants can cross
the border without the need for expensive paperwork.

James Purchase
Toronto