Barnacles on Drift wood

I got a piece of barnacled driftwood once. After 6 months of soaking in
water under the open sun, I dumped it into Industrial grade HCl ( 40% HCl,
what ever that means) and the damn thing kept bubbling for more than a week.
Everyday I'd take it out and tap it on a rock in my garden and calcerous
shells would pour out of the numerous holes and passages bored into it. Once
the bubbling stopped it went back into the water under the sun with daily
100% water changes for a couple of weeks followed by boiling it a few times
before I attached Java Fern and put it into my aquarium. The ferns are doing
great now and I can't see the wood.
So watch out before you play around with barnacled wood.

Madan Subramanian
Bangalore, India.