[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
RE: SPONGE FILTERS
- To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
- Subject: RE: SPONGE FILTERS
- From: "Michael Eckardt" <mike at odg_com>
- Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 17:06:29 -0500
- Importance: Normal
- In-Reply-To: <200203132048.g2DKm2Y09998 at acme_actwin.com>
Dr Athale wonder about the life of the biomass on sponge filters.
I think there are two issues:
1. if the power has been cut, how long will the bacteria survive in a
potentially anoxic condition?
I experienced a 3.5 hour power failure last week (while I was not at home)
and none of my filters crashed. However, this my be longer than "normal"
because of the relatively high DO levels in my tanks.
2. if the sponge is out in air, the bacteria will go dormant once they dry
out. After submersion _I believe_ that they recessitate again after some
time (note the disclaimer).