Clown Loaches and MTS

>From: James Folsom <hymy at arches_uga.edu>
>Subject: snails!
>
> Now, my question is, can anyone give me pointers to good info
> about Malaysian Trumpet Snails?  I got 2, yes, only 2, in a 10 gallon
> planted tank.  I'd like to get a good colony of snails going in there,
> so I can throw a few into my 38 gallon now and then for my clown
> loaches.  Do these snail require male and female for reproduction?
> I know not all snails do.
>

>They are livebearing snails, and don't require male/female pairs.  I
>can't remember if they are just asexual or hermaphroditic (sp). You will
>soon have more than you know what to do with.  Also I have heard that
>clown loaches can't eat them very well, because their shells are so hard
>and they can close up in their shell.  But I believe Chuck Gadd has
>clown loaches and MTS.  Maybe he can tell us for sure.

I have 2 clown loaches that completely cleaned a 29 gallon of what were
probably hundreds of MTS. I don't care that much for snails because even
in my best planted tanks I tend to run high on nitrates, and I don't want
the snail load adding to it.

       Gerry Skau

       He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.
       -Oscar Wilde