Re: plant filterconversion /mangroves

I have used red mangrove seedlings in my filter. Unfortunately, mine
dissapeared. Since it did very well for several months until the filter got
overgrown with faster growing plants, I can only assume that the increased
competition for light is what did them in.

Other plants that have worked very well for me in a flow through filter
include;
Anubias
Crypts (which flowered here, even though they stay submerged)
java moss
loydelia (Lysimachia nummularia)
wandering jew
pothos
Plectranthus
maiden hair (Adiantum sps)
Ficus triangularis
Hygrophylla polysperma (which has a very different emerged look)
Hemigraphis exotica

and several others I can't think of at the moment. Just as with the tank,
light has been the kee for me. I use two shop lights over the filter, which
has vastly improved the growth of the plants. Some like the wandering jew
tend to take over, others like the ferns have to be constantly unburied for
them to do well.

Brett Johnson
Green Man Gardens
bnbjohns at attbi_com