James Purchase--native plants

Mr. Purchase, Thank you for your good reply to my query.  I consulted the pdf
file you referred me to and Rataj and Horeman's Aquarium Plants (TFH:1977),
and the red-stemmed Myriophyllum is quite likely spicatum, as you suggested.
I do think there is some hippuroides as well, though.  I am more convinced
that the other stem plant is Elodea nutalli.  I guess removing these plants
from the environment, if non-native and invasive, is a service.  The problem
would be new or re-introduction.  I have to say that the Myriophyllum,
whatever species it is, seems to create an ideal environment for Blue-spotted
Sunfish and young Warmouths.  In one spot, where the current in a stream was
strong, there were mudflats with the Elodea, Myriophyllum, and Bacopa growing
together with very long stems trailing out prostrate in the current in dense
masses.  In these were found Pygmy Sunfish and Black Banded Sunfish which are
usually associated with still waters.

Thanks especially for the advice to be patient and for the warning about the
pond fertilizer--you are right, and I thought in a low dose in the substrate
it would probably benefit my aquarium plants.  I need to do more reading.

Best,

Dick Norwood

multipart/alternative
  text/html