Re: Joining Plexiglas

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 06:24:20 -0800 (PST)
From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
Subject: Re: Joining Plexiglas

Scott said:

"Capillary welding is, I believe the best method for joing pieces of
plexiglass.  Two very closely fitting edges are brought together and
plaxiglass weleding cement is applied to the edge with a sytringe and
capillary action draws in into the joint."

Totally agree, ditto on the other <snipped>too - bending plexi really looks
good, I've seen this done at Dolphin and several other west coast
wholesalers (glass costs too much on the west coast).  Bottoms were
capillary welded on, or so it seemed.

However

"Short of that finesse, you can silicone pieces together just like glass
aquarium panels."

Silicone does NOT hold plexiglass together for very long.  I'm not sure I'd
try this with a tank.  It's sort of like trying to silicone seal one of
those old slate bottom tanks.  The only way you get a good seal with that is
to epoxy it first and then stick the silcone sealant to it after it cures.

Gary Lange
gwlange at mindspring_com