Re: PO4

> From: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com (Aquatic Plants Digest)
> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:30:22 -0500 (EST)
> To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
> Subject: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1653
>
> Many, many plants will do just fine with unmeasureable P in the water
> column. If unmeasureable, it doesnt mean you dont have sufficient P:

What is sufficient P? How do define it? To the point where it's maxed out
and adding more will no longer increase the growth rate? 50% of that rate?
25%? Different plants do better at higher levels of PO4. Some do worse.
I'll pick 50%.

> (a)
> the plants may have already sucked up and stored the P provided from your
> tap water and fish food, They can then recycle this nutrient from old to
> new growth... you might just see a few dying leaves here and there,  and
> (b)there can be lots of P in the substrate (bound to laterite, soil or mulm).

Dead leaves,  algae, less than optimal growth. If that's what you want to
advocate...... okay. There's certainly a good amount of PO4 in the soil of
older tanks after some months.

 At what point does ADDING PO4 cause algae to the water column? Non CO2 and
CO2 tank methods?
It's over 2ppm on CO2 tanks and I'll bet it's also high in the non CO2 tanks
also. Not sure how high though.
Regards,
Tom Barr