RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1655

> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:20:56 -0600
> From: DDavis <ddavis2 at austin_rr.com>
> Subject: pH fell out the bottom
>
> I have been attempting to assist a friend with his tank.  For a while
> everything was looking great until recently when his pH measured
> 5 (possibly
> less) and KH 2.  I think it is partly due to the fact he has not done a
> water change in over 2 months, but I could also be wrong since this has
> never happened to me.  What could have caused this?  He has several plants
> in the tank and so far he has not lost any fish.  He does use the
> Carbo Plus
> system...if that is important.
>
> Please help...I'm stuck.  Any information will be helpful.
>

> big D
> - --
> It's not a fish tank, it's a plant tank ... the fish are decoration.
>
> Check out my fish site @
> http://home.austin.rr.com/ddaquaria

D,
  Is this a planted tank?  Are you guys adding CO2?  If so I think I had a
similar problem a few months back with my tank.  I decided to get into the
world of CO2 and had not done any water changes for about 2 months or more
on my tank.  Then I lost some fish and checked the ph is was about what you
tested if you check the water's hardness I bet it will show up as very
soft(my guess atleast).  If it is soft water then that is casued by the
plants and the CO2, the plants take out hard metals an other nutrients from
the water(slowly and very little but it depends on the plant load how fast).
Without these the water becomes soft and soft water will not hold much of a
PH to keep fish and plants happy.  I had to do water changes a couple times
a week and added some bufer to increase the hardness.  Now I do reagular
water changes and have never had a problem since.  Those are my thought's
let me know if it helps...

Matt W.