Re: Using garden hoses to change water

Tom Wood said, in part:

> I really shouldn't be allowed to interact with the general public. I
> wonder
> if lithium is available on credit again?

Yes, but the containers they come in are contaminated. ;-)   (Just
kidding)

> I was being sarcastic, which, on the web, apparently requires a finer
> hand
> than mine.

One of my favorite cartoons is from a few years ago- a dog is sitting a
desktop computer and speaking to another dog:  "On the internet, no one
knows you're a dog."  The flavor of email is also hard to guage
sometimes.  I salute your sarcasm.  I just didn't want to be the one
that started this month's brawl -- with a dozen folks jumping in and
defending the right to use or abolish fungicides or the need for
organic algacides . . . .

> But I do think that there is too much paranoia about what
> can't
> be used around a fish tank.

We might disagree about the borderline between unnecessary recklessness
and unwarranted caution.  You are seem confident about where it lies re
garden hoses and, I think, I am less certain.  I know that some hoses
are treated and others are not.  Among those that are treated, it seems
some are treated for algae inhibition and others to inhibit fungus,
perhaps some are treated for both.  Some of those treatment chemicals
might be ones that acumulate in plant or animal tissue; maybe not.  I'm
not too worried about my own garden hose because because I never saw a
reason to use it for anything but watering the front yard planters -- I
confess a lack of imagination here.  But some others might like to know
that not all garden hoses are the same -- and even if treated, there
might be some methods of use that are generally safer than others -- or
so others have proposed.

> So, my apologies back.

Unnecessary but the sign of a gentleman nonetheless.

Scott H.