Re: Where to get large quantities of cheap gravel

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:37:55 -0800 (PST)
> From: Cavan <millsman7 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Where to get large quantities of cheap gravel
>
> This is a bit off topic, but a killie guy in my club
> is looking to get large quantities of brownish gravel.
>  At least a hundred pounds or so.  I remember reading
> something about sandblasting grit somewhere here.  Is
> that really small grained or "regular"?  AT what kind
> of place may it be located?

Gravels are too cheap to transport very far, usually, so what is available
locally will vary a lot.

That said, the best places I have found for 100 pounds up are the local
building supplies places. Be careful, though, as some contain limestone
particles that may harden your water, or metallic salts that your fish will
not like. Testing with pool acid will detect the former, but not the latter.
[I killed a tank of very rare pupfish with some beautiful glittery black
gravel that may have been copper slag. It never tested high for copper, but
my kit may have been too old.] Look for water-washed, rounded particles, as
they may have solubles rinsed out already.

You might look for a local dealer for "Turface" which may be what your
friend wants. It's the bulk version of "Profile."

Wright

--
Wright Huntley -- 650 843-1240 -- 866 Clara Dr. Palo Alto CA 94303
                    http://www.sfbaka.net.

   Instead of giving money to found colleges to promote
   learning, why don't they pass a constitutional amendment
   prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as
   good as the Prohibition one did, why, in five years we would
   have the smartest race of people on earth. -- Will Rogers