some natives

Does anyone know of any North American native plants that are not stem
plants, not Valisneria sp., not Eleocharis sp., and not a moss...that are
suitable for aquariums?  There must be some, though I guess I either never
run across them or I just never realized they were natives.  Something from
the Southeastern US would be even better (working on a biotope-ish tank),
but the right continent would suffice.  Is there a book that would
specifically deal with native North American aquatic plants?  So far I've
been able to find plenty of stem plants and grass-type plants (and willow
moss), but where I want "others" (for lack of a more scientific word) I have
to use crypts or swords.  Is there something with a broadly similar shape
that is native to NA?  I know that there are plenty of introduced
non-natives (isn't Tom Barr always running across swords out there...I
assume those aren't native, but if they are...there's my answer), but I am
curious as to whether or not there are any natives suitable for general
aquarium use (i.e. not 45" wide and 75" tall, to use an extreme example :)).

TIA for any help,
Cameron in AL