Re: H2O2

Apologies for being late out of the gate on this one...

Neil wrote:

>I have been interested in algae control for a really long time, but
>interestingly, I never used H2O2. Can you give us the procedure or point to
>a summary from a past APD?

Here's some links I pulled from my notes that you may find of interest, Neil:

H2O2 (6%) method for control of BGA:
http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.200007/msg00152.html

H2O2 (3%) "localized injection" method for control of hair algae:
http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.9807/msg00193.html
http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.200007/msg00004.html

The following is a link to the lead post for a barley straw thread that
spawned two of the posts above -- it's not bad reading for the most part if
you can stand to pick through the indices (the thread runs from late June
into July, 2000):
http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.200006/msg00606.html

The ultimate gist of the thread (according to my limited understanding) is
that H2O2 has effect because it increases redox potential which is in turn
harmful to algae that lack the ability to cope with the condition of high
redox.  In other words, it essentially produces the same anti-algae effect
that a well run tank full of healthy plants respiring plentiful O2
would.  Of course, H2O2 can potentially be far more dangerous than a bunch
of healthy plants!  In what I found to be a very intriguing post, Karla
Booth speculated that it could be superoxide (O2 + e-) that is the actual
agent at work:
http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.200007/msg00265.html
An interesting (to me, anyway :) follow up to Karla's post:
http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.200007/msg00306.html

Tom B. was doing some I.V. drip experiments with H2O2 during this time if I
remember correctly.  I don't think he was overly impressed with the results
the best I remember, but it's been a while since I read through the
thread.  Perhaps he could be persuaded to elaborate on his
experience.  Could ya, Tom? :)

So far, I haven't found any specific information on H2O2 being used as a
dip except in reference to fishes.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee