Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:24:17 -0600
From: "Gamera" <Gamera at attbi_com>
Subject: Potassium Sulfate

In the past, I order K2SO4 from Homegrown Hydroponics.  It was a fine,
white
powder.  I just ran out of it recently, and went out looking for more.
couldn’t find any at local garden centers (must be out of season), so I
decided to order some online from Light Manufacturing Company (
www.litemanu.com <http://www.litemanu.com/> ).  My father-in-law told me
he
would continue to look for the K2SO4 at stores while he is out and
about.
He is semi-retired and has much more time to search for this stuff.
Well,
he found Sulfate of Potash (K2SO4) at a garden store a couple days ago
and
paid $5.49 for 5 lbs.  By this time, however, I had already ordered some
Potassium Sulfate from Light Man. Co. for $5 for 1 lbs. Plus $8 shipping
and
handling.  I know, it’s expensive, but I figured it would hold me over
until
my local garden centers started stocking the stuff for spring.  My
question
is regarding the appropriate color of K2SO4.  The Sulfate of Potash my
father-in-law bought me is reddish-brown in color and very granular.
The
only ingredients listed on the packaging are K2O (50%) and S (17%).  I
just
received the Potassium Sulfate from Light Man. today and it is the same
kind
of fine, white powder I had originally order from Homegrown
Hydroponics.  It
doesn’t list the element concentrations.  Light Man. shipped the powder
in a
plain Ziploc bag with “Potassium Sulfate” written on it in Magic Marker.
The Ziploc bag was then wrapped in a brown paper bag and then shipped in
large envelope lined with bubble wrap.  Why is there a difference in the
color and texture of the two products?  Is it normal for there to be
differences between K2SO4 products?  Which one should I use?

Gamera