CO2 Cylinder Testing

    Regarding the manditory CO2 cylinder testing that was brought up
recently: unlike the usual fare that is hashed around in this list, this is a
topic I do know something about, as I have owned and operated fire equipment
companies in the past. Federal law ( NFPA ) states that high pressure
cylinders must be hydrostatically tested every five years. Even when I had
the business going where this law was to my benefit- to help me make money- I
still thought it was stupid. The test in question involves a visual
inspection for rust and dents, and any swelling at the seams, then emptying
the cylinder and placing it in a test chamber that brings it up to 2 1/2
times the operating pressure- the whole point of the test being to ensure
that the cylinder is strong enough to hold the pressure that it was obviously
holding at the time it was brought in to be tested. In the years that I had
this business operating, we ran a lot of cylinders through both shops- and
only once have I ever seen a cylinder that failed- and that was an old
cylinder that was not under pressure when it was brought in.
     I'm not trying to incite people to recklessly endanger themselves or
others, but I just wanted to state a few facts, and let everyone draw their
own conclusions. When a high pressure cylinder has passed the hydrostatic
test it is stamped - usually between the collar and the shoulder of the tank-
with the month and year the test was performed and the symbol identifying the
company who peformed the test. EG: 2 [symbol] 02. The "brand" of the company
is usually something simple like a diamond or a triangle with a letter(s)
inside. The stamps themselves are just manual metal punches available through
many sources and for a variety of purposes. Some companies will spray or
brush a little paint over the new stamp to prevent rust from developing.
     Also note: when a person goes to get a cylinder filled, the vendor is
supposed to perform a visual inspection of the cylinder- he's looking for
dents and rust, as mentioned above- and check the date. But people are
basically lazy by nature, and if they see a shiny new paint job, they are
more inclined to assume that the cylinder is new. Bear in mind- vendors are
supposed to ask for your identification to buy cigarettes and alcohol, too,
but depending on how the buyer looks- they may or may not. And some vendors
just don't care.
     Like I said- I'm not trying to encourage a DIY-er crime loop, I just
wanted to express an opinion- as someone who been on both sides of the fence.

Darcy Bachand

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---