Re: Re: depth of field

>>Wow!  I like this idea, thanks for sharing it.  Maybe
when I get that bigger tank someday....(daydreams)
    I  have a 29 gallon planted tank, that I just
rearranged.  It just occurred to me to try a sort of
"downhill slope" sort of thing, with  the tallest plants at
one end, going down to the shortest plants at the
opposite end.  This is the back half the tank roughly.  I'm
going to try putting little diagonal "half-rows" of really
short plants sort of coming out from between the back
rows of tall plants into the empty front half of the tank.
I've just gotten the "keeping plants alive" part down, and
this is the first time I've been far enough along to think of
their arrangement, really.<<

There is another method that I have been tinkering with that could be
applied to most any size tank except "tall" tanks.

Divide the length of the tanks into thirds, three equal sections or blocks.
Design each section differently, but have some like plant as a common thread
in each section. For example, in the first section on the left side create a
mound of rocks with say a thick clump of hairgrass behind it, and a ring of
Anubias broad leaf barteri or even nana going around and in front of the
rocks. If front of the Anubias you could interchange tenellus, dwarf sag, or
glossostigma as the foreground with small rocks or bits of wood as accents.

In the second section or middle section, have a large group or two smaller
groups side by side of stem plants: one or two varities. Extend the line of
anubias from the left side to fill in the gap between the two sections. In
the foreground of the center section, use only two of the three species you
used in the left section, with some solitary Anubias plants mixed in.

In the third or right section have a tall sword or Aponogeton in the back
corner with long rooty wood coming from the back corner at an angle  toward
the front. Cover this wood with Anubias plants and in the foreground use
only one out of the three foreground plants you are using. Fill in gaps as
needed

Each section is distinctively different, but yet has commonalities...the
anubias plants and the mix of foreground plants. If done effectively,
everything should more or less blend together but yet have a varied, layered
look. At least that is my theroey! :) I have played with it a little, but
havn't really got it down yet.

Robert Paul Hudson
http://www.aquabotanic.com