Re:Photo's of deficiencies

> From: "Greger Lindstrand" <greglind at algonet_se>
> Subject: Plant deficiancies
>
> Hi all!
> I would like to point out one thing I have always wished could be found on the
> net.
> - - Pictures of plant deficiances and the cure for them.
> None of us have the pictures or knowledge of the cures though :-) And this is
> the reason for my posting.

Well there's a cure.
Good maintenance and good overall health.
We have gotten many questions about one specific plant that's doing bad etc.

Perhaps it's slow to respond and needs more time to get back to health or
responds poorly when the NO3 are too low. In any event, avoidance is what
your asking for really in most cases, unless your really interested in the
individual nutrient requirements/tolerances of a specific plant. With some
plants this might a good idea since they are funny(P. stellata, and others).

A cure by adding "one thing" is often not sufficient. How do you analyze
multiple deficiencies? Suppose your short CO2 , NO3 and Fe?. NO3 and Fe can
both cause yellowing in some plants, although in different parts. How
confident are you that your photo is in fact, only NO3 limitation?

Thing is, going over all the parameters by doing a water change resetting
the tank's nutrient levels takes care of most everything... then your not
spending so much time guessing and testing for one specific nutrient you
think may be the cause. Temporal issues and stunting may also confound your
results and notions. Making sure that it's one thing for the cause is
difficult. How about pic's of multiple causes? What ratios of multiple
deficiencies do you take for each type? How often is it only one nutrient
that's the problem?

It sounds good and all.......but I'm rather skeptical at the usability. In
order to do it right, it takes a fair amount of work and testing. A few
folks on this list have kits that might be able to cover the bases. A FEW.

> Do any of you have any plant deficiency pictures?

Many of these are plant specific and many look _very_ similar.

> Is there an intrest in this group for such a project?

There was when poor nutrition was more an issue. Getting accurate data and
testing at the hobbyist level is difficult. Good test kits are required and
good plant growing skills. Even then you must test all the other nutrients
to make sure what your seeing is in fact a Fe deficiency etc.

This can be done mind you but to do it for all the nutrients(say just 8 of
them) and with some 200+ plants, you'll be very busy for MANY years to come
if you do it right.
Regards,
Tom Barr