Newbie

   Hello all. Another "lurker" comes out of the closet. I recently signed up
to your mailing list, as I am an aspiring amateur aquarist, and an avid
DIY-er, sorely in the need of some technical tips and advice. It would appear
that I stumbled upon your list right in the middle of the heated Amano
debate, and while I didn't know who Amano was when this all started, I did
some searching and I do now- however, I do know what LOL means, : )
     I would like to say that I have, by means of your list, and a little
searching of my own, managed to construct a heating cable ( out of phone
wire- I'm a cable contractor by trade ) and CO2 delivery system for my tank-
and so far everything seems to be going okay- I haven't burned the house down
yet. Thanks for all the tips.
     Although I don't yet know that much about the "planted aquarium", I am
very keen to learn. Even with the limited knowledge I have, I find my tank a
source of relaxation- it's my Zen Garden- after the flood. ( Punctuated, of
course, by fiery foul-mouthed moments when I'm struggling to carefully wrap a
lead anchor on some specimen's rootlets- only to have them float up, up and
away upon entering the tank, or when I discover that I've started an
accidental syphon from the tank- some two hours after the fact, or that the
cat has jumped up onto the tank AGAIN, and dislodged the filter...) Ahh, the
road to Knowledge is windy, indeed.
     I know that someone mentioned ( possibly Tom Barr- but I'm not sure )
something about wild plants/weeds- something that interests me, but I don't
know how practical this would be for me, as I live in Minnesota. However, if
anyone would have any information about plants native to my area that would
be suitable to domestic life, or if anyone would know of a site(s) where I
could find information on aquatic plants in general ( ie- genus, species,
nutritional/light/Ph requirements, native area- and possibly pics ) I would
be really interested in finding out.
     Thanks again for all the info provided by your list- and, of course, the
artistic views, as well- don't want to offend anyone : )

Darcy Bachand

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---