[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

re: 2' front to back

Wright wrote:

> BTW, am I the only one bothered by the use of the term "depth" to describe
> any dimension but the substrate to surface one? The depth of water is a
> pretty-well understood term, and to use it to describe the front-to-back
> dimension of a tank often leaves me confused if there is no other context to
> get it untangled. [I know. I'm easily confused!]

I'm bothered by it, but I haven't found a better term.  I think of the term 
depth as a foreshortened version of "depth of field."  I also tend to say 
things like "depth (front-to-back)" just to be clear about it.

Roger Miller