Re: Diatomagic Filter

Mike Wickham:
> I've noticed that no one has mentioned the Diatomagic filter from
> Tetra/Second Nature. . .
> Give the spout a quick 90-degree twist and the filter goes into
> recirculation mode. (You charge the filter in this mode, too.) This
> makes
> it easy to shoot the photo without water current moving the fish
> around.
> After the fish is returned to the main tank, a twist puts the spout
> back to
> pick up any detritus dislodged during the netting. Since the filter
> wasn't
> turned off, the powder doesn't fall off the mesh to necessitate a
> recoating, nor does any end up in the tank. You can EASILY move the
> filter
> from tank to tank in recycle mode without having a speck of powder
> ending
> up in the tank or having to recoat the mesh with powder.

This is the Whisper Something or other, isn't it?  The Vortex functions
this way if you have their recharge valve -- i.e., it causes the out to
go to the in.  The System 1 obviates the need for this by puting the
impeller in the aquarium and using a filter "screen" that won't pass
DE, even when uncoated.

Does anyone have experience with hee Whisper (or Tetra) diatom filter
in terms of longevity?

Scott H.