west african biotope

I've started a West African bio-tope tank, it will be primarily killies and maybe some cichlids, but I want the plants to be correct also.

I've done my research, as it is, by going to tropica.com and search on "Africa."  This gives me  Bolbitis heudelotii, Crinum natans, Anubias barteri (and other Anubias), and Nymphaea lotus (zenkeri) amongst others.

I see others listed whose Continents is described as "cosmopolitan."  Would these be appropriate for use in a bio-tope.  I'm guessing that cosmopolitan means it is found everywhere.

Also, in an article on kribs in the January 2002 Tropical Fish Hobbyist, the author talks about Vallisneria being found in Nigeria, yet Tropica list all species as being from Asia. How can I tell which source to believe?

What other plants would be good to have?  The tank is a 30 gallon tank with about 1 1/2 inches of flourite on the bottom with 1 1/2 inches of sand on top of that.  There is driftwood and I plan on river rocks.  I'm guessing the pH will be 7.0 or below, I may be adding peat, that will drive the pH even lower.  There are 2 GE Sunshine Bulbs above the tank, so that is 80watts, but 1 foot is off the side of the tank so it really is only 60 watts.  I'm not planning on using CO2 (but will if I have to).

Thanks!
--
pZ -- Paul Cezanne
Please visit http://www.customline.com/peace/ and think about what is there.