Re: oedogonium

> First, I don't know if I've identified this algae correctly... it's short
> (less than 5 mm) strands, bright to mid green, attached very firmly to
> glass, plant leaves, decorations in spreading patches (ie, the strands grow
> so close together it resembles a green pelt.) In one tank, my platies appear
> to nibble it, but neither otocinclus nor shrimp (ghost, amano) seem to
> consume much of it. If this doesn't sound like oedogonium, let me know...

It often attaches in fur like linings around the leaf margins/edges. SAE's
are real good at eating this alga.

> I was wondering if anyone knows a particular aquarium condition it really
> likes (or more importantly, a condition it really hates.)

You want to get rid of this specific algae? Or all of the algae?

 I have low-light
> tanks, pH about 7.6, nitrates are usually <20 ppm, don't fertilize except
> for an occasional dollop of Kent's micronutrient (manganese, copper, iron, I
> think -- the algae seems to stay the same whether I do that or not) Before
> any "nasty" algaes get into my tank, I always have nice growth of soft green
> film algaes which the otos like. If I introduce oedogonium on a plant, it
> takes over the tank and the other algae growth appears to be inhibited. The
> platy tank has NO visible algae except for this green pelt and large tufts
> of black beard algae (the short feathery type). In another tank I have the
> green pelt only. It seems close to smothering the anubias leaves. Plants
> (java fern, anubias, bolbitis, crypt wendtii) seem to be growing and look
> healthy.
>
> I am not high-tech as far as my aquatic plant keeping, but if anyone knows
> what the problem might be... surplus/lack of something specific which
> favours oedogonium I'll have a shot at manipulating conditions.

No CO2? If so I'd not add that Kent or any liquid fertilizer. I'd do a water
change and good trimming of the infested leaves removing as much as you can.
I'd add some SAE's certainly. Next, make sure you fed your fish well. Make
sure you have a few fast growing plants, something like water sprite
*floating* on the surface(this plant will not be limited by CO2 and will get
plenty of light). Hopefully you have deep gravel(4 inches). Add tap water to
top off for evaporation lost. If you do fertilize, use fert tablets and
gravel additives rather than adding any trace nutrient mix(not to the water
column). Add more cypts since they tend to do well along with something like
Egeria naja or hornwort. You may have to keep after it but the SAE's will
help eat it in the future. Slow growing plants often get this. Consider
trying to leave the tank alone and remove as much of the algae as you can
every so often. It'll take some time, but it can be beaten this way.

If you use CO2 there's another method to beat it.
Regards,
Tom Barr