The War on Oedogonium

First, I don't know if I've identified this algae correctly... it's short
(less than 5 mm) strands, bright to mid green, attached very firmly to
glass, plant leaves, decorations in spreading patches (ie, the strands grow
so close together it resembles a green pelt.) In one tank, my platies appear
to nibble it, but neither otocinclus nor shrimp (ghost, amano) seem to
consume much of it. If this doesn't sound like oedogonium, let me know...

I was wondering if anyone knows a particular aquarium condition it really
likes (or more importantly, a condition it really hates.) I have low-light
tanks, pH about 7.6, nitrates are usually <20 ppm, don't fertilize except
for an occasional dollop of Kent's micronutrient (manganese, copper, iron, I
think -- the algae seems to stay the same whether I do that or not) Before
any "nasty" algaes get into my tank, I always have nice growth of soft green
film algaes which the otos like. If I introduce oedogonium on a plant, it
takes over the tank and the other algae growth appears to be inhibited. The
platy tank has NO visible algae except for this green pelt and large tufts
of black beard algae (the short feathery type). In another tank I have the
green pelt only. It seems close to smothering the anubias leaves. Plants
(java fern, anubias, bolbitis, crypt wendtii) seem to be growing and look
healthy.

I am not high-tech as far as my aquatic plant keeping, but if anyone knows
what the problem might be... surplus/lack of something specific which
favours oedogonium I'll have a shot at manipulating conditions.