nickel allergy

Jerry Baker wrote:
> I don't want to be rude or anything, but I can't
> imagine being allergic to nickel and/or cobalt. Can I ask
> you what happens if you come in contact with nickel coins
> (such as the nickel)? Those really blue glasses are made
> blue by cobalt also. I couldn't imagine having to
> check everything for its ingredients before I touched it
> - I empathize with you situation. I don't want to be rude,
>  but just curious.

I too have expereinced this sort of allergy.   A lot of people have
allergies to certain metals at high exposure.  I, for example, cannot
wear a leather watch-band, because the leather in direct prolonged
contact with my wrist causes me to react to the chromium used in
some tanning processes.  I get this lovely raised, raw welt, right
where the band touches. Yet I've never had trouble from leather
jackets or gloves. It depends on the tanning used.  Nickel allergy
bother a lot of people with pierced ears, and I've spent time helping
a friend coat her eye-glasses frames in clear nail polish because of
the nickel before.
	Here's some info about nickel allergies:
http://www.ambient.ca/bodmod/nickel.html
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1083.html
-Chrys

"and i try to laugh at whatever life brings
cuz when i look down i just miss all the good stuff
when i look up i just trip over things" ~ Ani DiFranco