Re: Rocks in Planted Tank

Granite is quite inert, and usually will have no effect on the water. It is
mostly SiO2 and equally insoluble compounds. Good choice, IMHO.

Limestone, marble, dolomite, etc., will raise your GH and KH, but in
semi-uncontrolled ways. They dissolve faster in acid conditions, so the
water will be constantly changing, but not always at the same rate. If your
starting water is hard and alkaline, they may have little effect. If it is
soft, they may have wildly varying effect.

Water changes would need to be small and frequent, to avoid osmotic shock on
the fish. As time goes by, the soluble materials seem to "skin over" and
become less soluble, unless shocked by extra acid conditions.
Unpredictability is the only predictable consequence. ;-)

I test suspicious stones with pool acid, to see if they contain solubles
like CaCO3 o/e. If the rock shows any "fizzing," I reserve it for hard-water
or brackish tanks or (most often) discard it.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley -- 650 843-1240 -- 866 Clara Dr. Palo Alto CA 94303
                    http://www.sfbaka.net.

Nobody every recommended a dictatorship aiming at ends other than
those he himself approved. He who advocates dictatorship always
advocates the unrestricted rule of his own will.  Ludwig von Mises