Re: Echinodorus compacta

Paul:

"I looked up Arizona Garden's picture of E. robustus, and it was taken from
Pablo Tepoot's book, and is a picture of EMERSE grown E. blehri v.
"Robustus".  There is no picture of the submersed grown plant, and I bet it
would be a lot taller."

I finally got the azgardens website to load, what a beast. I could swear
they've replaced the picture that was originally there a year ago, the
original looked much more like a miniature amazon, but maybe I'm remembering
it all wrong. The e. robustus I ordered from azgardens doesn't look like
that picture at all, never did, and stays about 6" tall, just as they say.

"My E. parviflorus is the original, or wild type of E. parviflorus, whereas
Tropia is selling a cultivar that came from Singapore or Sri Lanka and
which has a much more compact growth.  It is my humble opinion that the
leaves look a little unhealthy and distorted.  My point has been that the
wild type E. parviflorus is a pretty plant that has the same form as the
larger amazon swords, but adapts its size to the small aquarium much
better.  The wild-type parviflorus is almost unknown in trade these days,
although it does reproduce readily, as can be seen in my picture."

Well dang, I thought all this Latin talk was supposed to allow discussions
of the same plant and avoid the confusion of common names.

Tom