re: evidence

Arthur (aka Lazarus Miskowski) wrote
>Regarding whether or not phoshpates have been linked
>to algae in the literature:
>
>My Cambell Biology text book documents an experiment
>in which fertilizers were added to two large lakes.
>One contained phosphorous and the other didn't.  Guess
>which one was green...the stated conclusion was that
>phosphorous very much promotes the growth of algae, if
>I am not mistaken.
>
>Campbell Biology is probably the most used college bio
>text in America.

First of all, just because something is written in a book, even a college
text, dont always take it at face value. That said, I still agree with you
and the general view that excess phosphates _can_ contribute to algae
problems. The key word is _can_. Evidence supporting the general notion:
-excess phosphates in streams and lakes which cause algae blooms which have
resulted in bans of Phosphates in detergents [these are probably different
alga species, including bluegreens, than the ones we may see in our tanks;
and are in completely different environments and without the relatively
larger numbers of competing vascular plants]. BG's are more efficient at
getting available P and CO2 at low levels (also why BG's do better at
higher pH in ecosytems) With CO2 levels at higher levels (in our tanks, as
compared to FW ecosytems), the extra P does not produce the same effects
- for some of the reasons above, phosphates can contribute to algae in
marine tanks
- occassionally adding phosphate to my fw tank to help make the plants look
nicer also causes some algae to be more visible in the tank. This is the
only time I see it on my glass. Not a big deal, but still evidence that
limiting nutrients will reduce algae. [but, it also reduces vascular plant
growth]

Neil

Neil Frank / Aquarian Subjects (interesting old books and magazines)
http://www.mindspring.com/~aquaristics/aquarian.subjects/